Search The Bloggle

Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Makura no Danshi Episode 2: Your Senpai from Work that Embraces You with the Composure of a Mature Man - Bobble Reviews



I'm certain this episode has been ravaged by complaints: "This can't be a real episode of Pillow Boy! There's not even any pillows!" Well, hear it from me: the second episode of Pillow Boy is a marvel. This is where the series shows its serious, real side and truly comes into its own.



Last night was rough. I didn't get a joke in one of Beeble's reviews, so he got upset. What followed was perhaps the worst shouting match that's ever erupted between us since our irreverent anime blog began its glamorous run. Distressed not only by his cruelty but also by my own, I stumbled into the Bear Bar of the local national park, bought five mugs of Honey Mead for Bears, and drank myself into a stupor.

That's when I met Senpai*. Not Beeble, who is my actual co-worker and who also happens to be older than me. No. I can't look up to him anymore.

* or Sempai or whatever. What's important isn't the word that names him but the words that come from his heart.

Look who talking!


Senpai makes up for a lack of creepy intimacy with his creepy face, his words, and his polite offering of tea and nose-blowing napkins. Amazingly, his words, his ever-present tools of support, form his pillow, forever behind your back and your head, and no matter how much he stumbles in life – because even the indomitable Senpai can make mistakes – he will always believe in you. That's the true genius of Pillow Boy as a series; that's the central metaphor that brings it all together.

And the napkins were certainly needed throughout this episode. I'm sorry, Senpai. You just brought out such a torrent of emotions.





Please stay the night with me, Senpai. I'll buy you a house right next to my cave.


No comments:

Post a Comment