Search The Bloggle

Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Charlotte Episode 13: Memories to Come - Bobble Reviews


Some people think this show sucks. Others think it rules. I think it's over. So what's the final verdict here in the Bobblezone?


Here's my first opinion: I underestimated Charlotte's Engrish capabilities.


Our hero Light Yagami, who yes I know his name is Yu I've known that for several episodes I just want to call him Light for several bad reasons, is on a mission to find every teenager with a special ability, everywhere, ever, and take their powers so that we don't plunge into chaos. He's gotta do it now before he loses all his teen ESP stuff. It's Around the World Before He Finishes Puberty.


It doesn't take long for him to become wanted across the globe.

Ha ha, "recently he appears frequently" doesn't sound like proper Eng— WHY ARE THERE SUBTITLES?

It also doesn't take long for him to make some questionable decisions. He sees a girl using her powers to heal an old dude's arm in a little shack, but he takes them and gets all high and mighty about it. I guess the rationale is that a scientist might find her eventually and kill her, I dunno.


Th-th—that was her livelihood

He decides not to take the opportunity to heal his eye and go into more time travel. That'd be silly, the series is almost over. Props for that.

more like dollars reason huehguehg

He gets involved with the mafia, gets all angsty, loses his high school memories, regains his high school memories, doesn't really remember his high school memories, saves people, kills people, finds a positive outlet for the sort of killing rage he'd gone through in episode seven...



Eventually he gets all bored, all hunchbacked, and a walking stick, which is only really useful in the rare case when you find yourself gunned down in Beijing by a man with a crossbow but saved from outright death by the ability-wielding girl who would be the love interest if this was a first episode.

Yeah, try next series.

thats to deep

To make sure that no scientist gets her in their evil laboratory to extract her sacred and amorphous Courage Serum, Light takes her bravery anyway. He tries to be inspiring about it, but, well, uh, she runs away and then he falls over. That bounty is the random crossbowman's for the taking!!





It's that big brother who loves him so much that he neglected to associate with him for years! He's come to save the day!! And then what happens? Well, there's only like four more minutes. You guess.


:')

I don't know if I can say that I warmed up to Charlotte. I was really warm on it for one episode, vaguely frosty with mild disappointment for the second, and I proceeded to experience varying temperatures throughout. But when this show follows Yu and nothing but Yu, those, I think, are its high points. I don't know if he's particularly deep and he does too much internal stating of the obvious for my liking, but he's emotional, reactive, and he's really had ups and downs throughout this series, and that makes him fun to watch.

Despite his fall from grace, my favorite supporting cast member has to be the glasses guy. You can tell how much the show likes the glasses guy. Glasses didn't even get an arc, and he was in the series longer than that idol girl and her ghostly sister. The rest of them (that got more than four episodes of significant screentime) had their moments. 'Cept the sister. She's a decent plot device, I guess.

Charlotte dug itself an ill-planned hole in the buildup to this episode, but when it got there, it did what it wanted to do and it did it well, and when I watched this episode, I wished some of the earlier episode were more like it.

But — wait! There's more!! We have to put in some overly idealistic and pleasant meadow mess to reassure viewers that there will be a better tomorrow!!!


Uhhhhhhhhh have fun getting old

This series gets a


out of


No comments:

Post a Comment